thevoraciousreader

Sophie

Lolita
Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee I'd been hearing good things about [b:Angelfall|11500217|Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)|Susan Ee|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1319887835s/11500217.jpg|16435765] for so long that it made me hesitant to read it in case it wasn't worth the hype! Not the case here. [b:Angelfall|11500217|Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)|Susan Ee|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1319887835s/11500217.jpg|16435765] was exciting and fun with non-stop action.The book is told from Penryn's point-of-view. She grew up with a mother who could occasionally be dangerous (and even crippled Penryn's little sister at one point) so she is well-trained in martial arts and can defend herself. This comes in handy when angels take over the world, killing off many of its inhabitants. There are street gangs to worry about as well, and Penryn takes her duty to protect her family very seriously. Then one night, she and her family encounter a group of angels who are about to attack another angel. She and her family attempt to hide but Penryn's sister ends up being taken by angels. She ends up taking in the injured angel in order to get his help in finding her sister. Raffe, now wingless, refuses to help her at first but then changes his mind. Off they go on an adventure! One aspect of the book I really appreciated was Raffe and Penryn's relationship. Insta-love is one of my least favorite things and very common in YA novels, but there wasn't any here. I am very excited about reading the next book!