thevoraciousreader

Sophie

Lolita
Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine
Just One Day - Gayle Forman For some reason I've been putting off reading this for a while. I wasn't a fan of [b:If I Stay|4374400|If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)|Gayle Forman|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347462970s/4374400.jpg|4422413] and [b:Where She Went|8492825|Where She Went (If I Stay, #2)|Gayle Forman|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1347810457s/8492825.jpg|10706553] but I wanted to give Foreman another chance. I'm really glad I did. The book has several parts to it and some worked better than me than others. Some spoilers! I cut the whole thing to be safe.The first part is about a rule-abiding non-spontaneous girl who is on a tour of Europe with her friend after graduating from high school. The first bit of spontaneity is when she and her friend decide to go to an outdoor Shakespeare play and meets actor Willem. Then Allyson (or Lulu, her alter-ego name given to her by Willem) goes to Paris with him. There they fall in love. Then the next day Willem is not there and she feels abandoned. Allyson goes to back to the United States without ever knowing what happened to him. The travel part was fun but not my favorite.The next part starts when she's at college, going along with the science-oriented path to a medical degree as decided by her mother. But Allyson is depressed and realizes that the path is not what she wants. She is sullen and unpleasant to be around, and her relationship with her mother as well as pretty much everyone becomes strained. This part, while understandable, was a bit of a struggle for me to get through.Then comes my absolute favorite part, the one where Allyson starts to figure out who she is, who Lulu is, and a compromise between them. She experiments with classes, makes new friends (one of whom I absolutely loved), learns a new language, gets a new job, and becomes way more spontaneous. The final part is when she goes back to Europe to find out what happened.I loved watching Allyson grow throughout the novel. My only real complaint is that the ending was abrupt.