thevoraciousreader

Lolita
Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine

The Lover's Dictionary

The Lover's Dictionary - David Levithan

When I was younger, every time somebody said I couldn't read a book, I took it as a challenge to read it. Most of the time I didn't get very far (I have many books that I have picked up and set down various times throughout the years before finally reading it). It could even be a sarcastic comment, like when I heard a boy in my third grade class mention something about reading a dictionary. The first thing I did when I got home was take my children's dictionary off my bookshelf and start reading it. I think I got to the B's before I realized that it was a waste of time and I didn't like it. This book reminded me of that time and made me smile.

I have to admit that this was a book I almost passed over. At first I thought it was one of those self-help books before I realized the author and the fact that he was what made Will Grayson, Will Grayson such an enjoyable book for me. But I'm SO glad I did read this. The entries are short, and of course since it corresponds to the word the memory or story is defining, it's out of order. Some entries are happy or sad or angry, or hint of a coming storm. Some entries were long, others were only a sentence or two. A lot of the times, especially with the shorter entries, it almost felt like I was reading a poem. He has a real lyrical way of writing.It's a story about a failing relationship, and it was so very touching and I could find myself really relating to a lot of it, whether through my own experiences or what I've seen of other people's experiences.This might be a book out of your comfort zone (it certainly was for me!) but I really recommend reading it.

Final rating: 4/5