thevoraciousreader

Sophie

Lolita
Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine
The Luxe - Anna Godbersen As I was reading this book, I was thinking, "This is Gossip Girl, just set in 1899." I looked on goodreads and one of the reviews here said the same thing, so I'm glad I'm not alone. The problem with this book is that:1. It doesn't FEEL like 1899. It feels like modern day, only with the dresses of that time period. Which is a shame, because I love period novels.2. There are 4 main characters in the book and none of them are very likable! Minus the little sister, possibly, but the point of view was changing so much that you never got to really know any of the characters, and the little sister's character was overshadowed by her romance and the other characters.3. It was overly dramatic, with basically it being a catfight between the various female characters. Girl A unintentionally stole Girl B's guy because he has to marry someone decent and she has to save the family, but Girl A is in love with (and sleeping with) the boy that Girl C is in love with, and Girl D is in love with the guy that Girl A is engaged to and Girl B loves. Girl B then decides to ruin Girl A's relationship by pretending to be helping with the wedding, but really sabotaging it. It continues and grows more dramatic, but that's the basic gist. Though the ending did make me somewhat curious to check out the next book, so I'll give the author that.