thevoraciousreader

Sophie

Lolita
Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine
The Rules for Disappearing - Ashley Elston I feel like it took me a lot longer than 4 days to read this book. I was thinking it had been a couple weeks! I thought that the reactions of "Megan" and her family were pretty realistic. They've been forced to change locations and identities, sometimes without much notice, and all of them have been changed by it. Meg is angry and frustrated, her little sister is quiet and doesn't talk much and is scared that she might be left behind, and her mom has become an alcoholic. Meg also tries not to have real ties to any of the places she has to move to so that it isn't harder to leave behind any friends or activities. Unfortunately, she's caught the attention of a boy at her school named Ethan who is very intrigued by her. Ethan is also a very big part of what made this book difficult for me to really enjoy. I dislike him quite a bit. The main reason for this is just how pushy he is. He doesn't take no for an answer when she tries to avoid him and is always prying and getting her to act a certain way. Something about him just really rubbed me the wrong way. Their romance also happened way too fast. With the combination of an uncomfortable family dynamic and a relationship I wasn't too fond of, this book just really dragged for me. The mystery could have been enough to keep me interested but it was barely even there.