thevoraciousreader

Sophie

Lolita
Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine
City of Fallen Angels - Cassandra Clare It's not a secret that I didn't like any of the other books. To be honest, I don't even know why I read THIS book, other than that it was on me and I have this problem where I have to finish something when I start it. However, I'm tempted to go back and give the other books a higher rating just to show how much I disliked this one.The characters? Well, there was a lot of switching between Simon, Clary, and Jace. Simon spent the book angsting about his vampirism (and which of his two girlfriends to choose), Clary and Jace spent most of the book angsting about their love for each other and being scared that something'll happen to tear them apart. Jace keeps getting these nightmares that he'll hurt her and instead of talking about it with her, just avoids her. And then she keeps going on about how she's not worthy of him (I had Bella Swan flashbacks. This isn't a good thing), and Clary freaks out about it and they have a lot of angsty makeout sessions. At which point I wanted to strangle every. single. character in this book.And don't forget all the pretentious references to Smart People literature, because it's not a Cassandra Clare book without those.Sadly, it seems like instead of just having a trilogy plus one, she's going to make a bunch more, if the ending of this book was any indication.