thevoraciousreader

Sophie

Lolita
Vladimir Nabokov, Craig Raine
Son of the Shadows - Juliet Marillier Although this is the second book in the Sevenwaters series, it's not completely necessary to read the first one (though I recommend it! I loved Daughter of the Forest and gave it 5 stars) as it's a different main character and a different set of circumstances, though some characters from the last book do show up. Liadan has had a good life, at least up until she turns 16. At that point her mother becomes seriously ill, her sister has an affair with a man she shouldn't and gets forced into an arranged marriage with someone else, a man that Liadan is not interested in wants to marry her, and there have been threats to her people by the mysterious Painted Man. Then, while traveling with her sister to deliver her to her new husband, Liadan gets kidnapped by the men of the Painted Man who desire her for her healing skills. The Painted Man is not happy about this development as he deeply mistrusts women, and is not very nice to Liadan, but somehow she ends up falling in love with him anyway, which complicates her life and her alliances to the people she loves. After all, she is in love with the enemy. Just like the first book, Son of the Shadows was beautifully written with a nice set of characters. I liked Liadan a lot. I was tempted to give this book 5 stars, but it did drag a tiny bit and I wasn't as in love as with Daughter of the Forest.